Practical usable advice is the name of the game. We are told to eat healthy and we know that calories make up food. We even know that certain foods have different calorie make ups. Where most people struggle is putting it all together in to a daily plan.
What we have here is a base 1500 calorie day focussing on lean proteins and sensible amounts of carbohydrate and fats. For some people this may be enough food- for others it may be a good base before snacks depending on your size and your goals.
Feel free to share your snaps of your creations with us and if you decide to tweak any of the recipes with your own spin!
Low Carb Egg Breakfast Muffins
- 1 red pepper
- 3 spring onions
- 5 little cherry tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- 1 handful spinach
- 50g of cheddar or your choice of cheese.
- ½-1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 390°F.
- Wash and dice the pepper, onions and tomatoes. and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Wash the spinach, lightly chop it and add it to the bowl as well.
- Add the eggs and salt. Mix well.
- Add the chilli- add depending on your preference for heat!
- Grease the muffin tin with oil and kitchen paper/baking brush and pour the egg mixture evenly into the muffin slots. (If you think they might still stick to the pan use some muffin cups or cut out some baking paper and to use as cups.
- Add the cheese, grated or layered.
- Pop the tray into the oven for 15-18 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch.
- Bon Appetit!!
This is about 250 calories a serving so 2 will do the job to start of the day (original source http://www.hurrythefoodup.com).
Spicy Chicken and Avocado Wraps
- 1 chicken breast (approx 180g), thinly sliced at an angle
- generous squeeze juice ½ lime
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 seeded wraps
- 1 avocado, halved and stoned
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, sliced
- a few sprigs coriander, chopped
Mix the chicken with the lime juice, chilli powder and garlic.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan then fry the chicken for a couple of mins – it will cook very quickly so keep an eye on it. Meanwhile, warm the wraps following the pack instructions or, if you have a gas hob, heat them over the flame to slightly char them. Do not let them dry out or they are difficult to roll.
Squash half an avocado onto each wrap, add the peppers to the pan to warm them through then pile onto the wraps with the chicken, and sprinkle over the coriander. Roll up, cut in half and eat with your fingers.
This is about 400-500 calories so perfect as a sensible lunch (original source www.bbcgoodfood.com).
Healthy Steak and Chips
- 150g baking potatoes
- 5ml olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 175g lean beef rump steak
- 1 tomato
- 50g button mushrooms
- 80g mixed leaf salad
Preheat oven to 220°C / Gas Mark 7 / 425°F
Peel and cut potato into 8 wedges.
Place on a baking tray and brush with 1 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until cooked through and crispy.
While the potato is cooking, grill or griddle the steak, 1 tomato and a few sliced mushrooms.
(Original recipe courtesy of www.weightlossresources.co.uk).
And for those of you who want to pimp that steak up a bit check out Jamie Oliver’s how to guide… https://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/how-to-cook-the-perfect-steak/